CityHall-1.jpg (28752 bytes) Atwood City Hall
45 Back Street
Phone (731) 622-7689

Atwood
Founded: Circa 1820, Incorporated: 1951
Population: 1000
Industry: Clothing manufacturing
Business: Banking, Retail, Services and Agriculture
Mayor: James Halford, Sr. 
             P.O. Box 339
             Atwood, TN 38220
             (731) 662-7689
             Fax-731-662-4351

  Atwood is located in Southwest Carroll County, Tennessee and encompasses a total area of 1.9 square miles. The population was 1,000 at the 2000 census and has more than doubled since 1960.

The first known settlers in Atwood were Cornelius W. Keaton and family. They arrived in the 1820's and established a homestead. Mr. Keaton ran a store and a blacksmith shop, and the Keaton Homestead overlooked these businesses as well as others that moved into town over time. Ox wagons were sent to Paducah, KY to obtain much needed supplies.

Prior to 1852, J.H.Witt Cage of Mississippi settled large tracts of land in the area that is now Atwood. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad requested to use Mr. Cage's land to establish a line for the railroad. They successfully acquired a lease to use the land and held that lease for 99 years. Once the lease expired, L&N requested to renew the lease in order to continue their passage through Atwood without delay, but, instead they were met with a generous offer: the Cage heirs offered the land to the railroad.

Because of Atwood's location on the line, it became a popular fuel stop during the early train days. Between the years of 1852 and 1855, businesses developed, homes were being built at a rapid pace, and Atwood had finally taken off and was becoming a booming railroad town. Due to the increase in population and community activity, the first Post Office was established on May 9th, 1855 with Mr. William J. Kirk being the first postmaster of Atwood.

In 1905, Atwood Banking Company was established and was the first bank in Atwood. It was later reorganized as the Citizen's Bank and Trust Company in 1927.

Atwood schools grew from a one room in 1850 to a four year High School in 1935 which was later consolidated into the West Carroll School district serving Atwood, McLemoresville, Lavinia, Trezevant and Westview communities.

Although Atwood had become an independent community early on, it was not incorporated until 1951 nearly a century after Mr. Cage had leased the land to L&N Railroad. C.V. Moore was the first mayor of Atwood.


  Atwood is the site of the annual West Tennessee Antique Engine & Tractor Show this display of antique tools and equipment is held twice yearly at the intersection of highways 79 and 70-A.



Click on any thumbnail image
below to see a detailed photo.


Bruceton Clarksburg Hollow Rock Huntingdon McKenzie
McLemoresville Trezevant Communities

 

This site developed and maintained by Elliott Design
2001 - 2013 Carroll County Chamber of Commerce, All Rights Reserved,